[MPlayer-users] CVS, DivX, and No sound! Broken Pipe?

Aciel aciel at speakeasy.net
Wed Jul 24 02:00:02 CEST 2002

The majority of the times I run mplayer, and especially with a dvd, I
get the following error.

AO: [oss] 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
couldn't open/init audio device -> NOSOUND
Audio: no sound!!!
Start playing...

There's no obvious reason for me to get this. Everything else that uses
sound works just fine. Usually I can get it to work by opening XMMS,
starting to play something, and then closing it. But often that doesn't
even work and I have to play around with it for a while, opening and
closing various sound-utilizing applications. This is obnoxious. How can
I fix it?

The command I use for DVDs is this:
mplayer -vo xv -ao oss -dvd 1 -aid 128

My system is the most recent 2.4 kernel--whatever comes with RH7.3. I've
got an nVidia GeForce3 Ti500, and my motherboard is an Asus A7M266 with
built-in sound.

The other problem I'm having is with Invader Zim divx's. I use the
following command:
mplayer -vo xv -ao oss Invader_Zim_-_101_The_Nightmare_Begins.avi

The last through lines I get are the following:
--

Playing Invader_Zim_-_101_The_Nightmare_Begins.avi
Detected AVI file format!
VIDEO:  [DIV3]  320x240  24bpp  29.97 fps  669.1 kbps (81.7 kbyte/s)
Detected audio codec: [divx] afm:4 (DivX audio (WMA))
Requested audio codec family [divx] (afm=4) not available (enable it at
compile time!)
Couldn't initialize audio codec! -> nosound
vo: X11 running at 1600x1200 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local
display)
Requested video codec family [ffdivx] (vfm=5) not available (enable it
at compile time!)
Requested video codec family [odivx] (vfm=3) not available (enable it at
compile time!)
Requested video codec family [divx4] (vfm=7) not available (enable it at
compile time!)
Requested video codec family [divxds] (vfm=4) not available (enable it
at compile time!)
Requested video codec family [divx] (vfm=2) not available (enable it at
compile time!)
Requested video codec family [divx4vfw] (vfm=2) not available (enable it
at compile time!)
Can't find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x33564944 !
*** Try to upgrade /home/aciel/.mplayer/codecs.conf from etc/codecs.conf
*** If it's still not OK, then read DOCS/codecs.html!
Exiting... (End of file)
#

I've tried enabling these at compile time but it doesn't seem to work.
When I try to do it with libavcodec I get an error--no target or
somesuch. I also tried downloading ffmpeg and ./configure && make &&
make install. It compiled and installed fine but mplayer couldn't see
it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Aciel