[MPlayer-users] muxing vorbis audio with mencoder?

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Tue Jul 23 00:31:03 CEST 2002

On 02.07.22 D Richard Felker III pressed the following keys:

> > No, i can get the header saved and reparsed from the avi. But the muxing is then
> > so bad that it's totally unusable. If you are interested i can send you my changes.
>
> Could the demuxer be hacked a bit so that instead of providing a
> single vorbis packet, it instead groups them into chunks that will
> decode to a constant (or near-constant) number of samples, as Arpi
> suggested? This *should* in theory make it work.

I don't know if it is worth the effort.

Some time ago someone tried to acomplish this (vorbis in AVI) on
windows, and after many iterations, some of them even working, he gave
up.

Since the guy wanted oggvorbis sound pretty badly, he created OggDS
framework: instead of encapsulating vorbis stream inside AVI, he created
a way to encapsulated video (DivX3, DivX4 etc) stream inside Ogg stream.

OGG packaging has no notion of what the packet sizes should be. It can
hold any number of vbr, cbr or basically, any free-form streams[1][2] and
``it just works'' for almost anything.

Robert

PS. Of course, the usual rule ``if one didn't hear sth, one will make it
up'' still applies, so I could mess something while trying to give
a brief lecture on history of .ogm files. More on the subject on
http://tobias.everwicked.com/

[1] for example textual subtitles;
[2] confront this to what someone (Arpi?) said here: ``CBR audio in QT is
 as much of an ugly hack, as VBR audio in AVI'';

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35