[MPlayer-users] Closed Captions: advice needed

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Fri Jul 19 16:13:10 CEST 2002

On 02.07.19 Arpi pressed the following keys:

> Hi,
>
> > I noticed that MPlayer lacks Closed Captions decoding capability (at
> Because we lack of DVD discs using it... don't you want to donate some? :)

No problem. Almost all Region 1 dvds contain CC subtitles. In fact, lots
of R1 DVD don't contain VOB subtitles in English, just French and
Spanish, and CC userdata contains English for hearing impaired.

I have one movie that I don't want to see anymore that contains CC. And
a good one, I'd say. It's Stanley Kubrick's ,,Full Metal Jacket''.

So, just give me your postal address... ;)

[...]
> > 2) Most important: I do not know MPlayer's OSD architecture well enough,
> > and I'd definitely like to use it to display my neat (:-)) CC subtitles.
> > Yes, I know CCs have control codes for color, background, font change
> > and so on. I just don't care about them (as of now... I'll see later).
> Are they text (ascii) subs? (i've never seen any CC subtitle)

Yes, they are. Well, it's some sort of 7bit charset based on ascii, but
containing some diacritical characters from Spanish and French. You can
find the charset at http://www.robson.org/capfaq/caption-charset.html
and some useful information about CC (called also Line 21 subtitles) at:

- http://www.robson.org/capfaq/
- http://www.captions.org/

Robert

--