[MPlayer-users] DVD RPC (fwd)

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Jul 19 12:39:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> >  a myth that the drive itself take care of it.
>
> No it is not. It simply means that there are _two_ checks, one
> in the software player (which dvd-genie, or libdvdcss, take care of)
> and one in the _drive firmware_, which _cannot_ be bypassed if it is
> present in the drive's firmware (the firmware itself does the check
> when the software requests "read title key", and will return an error
> if the region codes on the drive and on the DVD media do not match).

yes, this is the trick. libdvdcss does NOT requests the title key from the
drive!!! it crack it without the help of the drive itself!
so this check never runs, even fi exists in the drive.
my fairly new sony dvd rom has this check in the firmware, windows needed to
set the right region code to work. but libdvdcss didn't!

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team