[MPlayer-users] DVD RPC

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Wed Jul 17 08:03:01 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 01:34:39AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I'm experiencing quite a strange behaviour with DVD reading (at least I
> > think it's strange...).
> > I have a matshita UJDA710 DVDROM/CDRW combo drive in my laptop, which is
> > unmistakably a RPC2 drive (it's reported as RPC2 both by winblows tools
> > and by regionset). Now, the question is: if it is RPC2 (and set to
> > Region 2), how can it play region 1 DVDs (tried a couple) WITHOUT
> > changing the drive's setting?
> it's tricky. read about libdvdcss...

Well, I've got a "Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-105S 012, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM
drive", and it was set to region code 1, which is strange since Hungary is
part of area of region code 2. However I was brave enough to simply fresh
the firmware of my drive with an unkown stuff found by google :) Now there
is NO region controll stuff in my drive :)

- Gábor (larta'H)