[MPlayer-users] motion wavelets?

Jukka Tastula jukka.tastula at kotinet.com
Mon Jul 15 23:41:01 CEST 2002

This seems to be a very good codec for real time encoding (capturing).
The problem is that mplayer seems to crash trying to play these.
Not all of them, of course, but there's a pattern here.

I encoded to this format with avicap using resolutions 576x432, 768x576
and 640x480 in YV12, YUY2, RGB24 and RGB32. Codec used in both programs
is "icmw_32.dll".

576x432-rgb24 plays okay most of the time (when it doesn't segfault in
decode_video), but upside-down by default. Aviplay shows the same upside-down
problem so this part might be a problem in the encoding, but it never crashes.

576x432-rgb32 has the same problems as the 24bit one, but adds a weird ghost
effect. I'm guessing it doesn't like interlaced video? Sure looks like if the
fields weren't both at the same place.

576x432-yuy2+yv12 both play perfectly, in correct colors and right way up.
Never saw a crash with these, maybe my clips just weren't long enough
(3 minutes).

640x480-yuy2+yv12 crashes every time after a few seconds (<10).
(this one I didn't even bother trying with rgb24/32)

768x576-rgb32+rgb24+yuy2+yv12 crashes every time under a second.
Additionaly RGB32 and 24 show the same problems the smaller versions do.

All of these crash instantly if I use -zoom.

Aviplay plays _all_ of these files and never crashes (which is new, my
experience with it for the past year has been that it doesn't compile or
gives a segfault when I try to run it), but it drops a huge load of frames
(the meter on the player shows 70% ~all the time and when it quits it shows
something funny like "played 54 frames ( 271.234243% drop )")

The codec is listed as "fully functional", so what gives?-)

The files are too big for me to upload because I'm on an isdn connection here
and the files are big as you'd expect for a full/3/4 pal resolution real time
encoded video to be. But anyone with a tv card out there can create files like
these, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Uploaded gdb+systeminfo logs into mplayerhq ftp
incoming/motionwaveletscrashborkbork.tar.bz2 even though I don't really know
if these will help at all. The traces all look the same and useless (which they
probably are) to me :)