[MPlayer-users] Possible bug [FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT]

Per-Arne Holtmon Akø perarneh at online.no
Tue Jul 9 13:42:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 01:14:11 +0000, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> On Thursday 04 July 2002 09:40, Per-Arne Holtmon Akø wrote:
> OK, I tracked down the problem.
> Athlon XP/MP and some other Athlon models all share the same CPUID (666), but
> only the XP supports SSE, this leads to miscompiled code for MP and others.
> Your log also shows, that gcc uses SSE which is not possible on your cpu.
>
> I have now commited a fix to configure, that will fallback to athlon-4
> optimization, if no SSE is detected.
>
> However if you want to get the most out of your cpu, you should edit the
> config.mak to use -march=athlon-mp -mcpu=athlon-mp, as the MP is not
> currently auto-detected as MP but as Athlon-4.
>
> Please test if current configure fixes your prob and report back.
>
> And if you have linux /proc/cpuinfo emulation, it would be nice, if you could
> paste the output here.

Now configure will set -march=i486 and -mcpu=i686, which I suppose was
your intention. It compiles and runs fine now.

There is one thing though:
"Compiled with RUNTIME CPU Detection - warning, it's not optimal! To get
best performance, recompile mplayer from sources with
--disable-runtime-cpudetection"
Does this mean that my current configuration should not use
runtime-detection, or is that a general hint now?

Also attached the output from a 'cat /usr/compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo', at
your request. Have fun with it :)

--
vrak AKA Per-Arne Holtmon Akø
E-mail: perarneh at online.no