[MPlayer-users] Re-encoding to higher bitrate

Stefan Lange hoirkman at gmx.de
Mon Jul 8 19:14:02 CEST 2002

Bradley M Alexander wrote:
> I have a number of movies that I recorded prior to coming up with a method
> of commercial removal. I would like to go back and remove the commercials
> on these.
>
> My question is, would going back and reencoding them actually buy me
> anything? The framerates with commercials were usually in the 600-700
> range, but without, its in the 700-800 range.

you mean bitrate instead of framerate, don't you?

> Will it buy me anything to expand the resulting avi to approx. 700MB after
> removing the ads or should I just leave it the same size?
>
> Thanks,

you cannot improve quality by reencoding, so it's no use doing it. it
will probably even result in worse quality if you reencode.

the only case where i could imagine that you'd get better quality by
reencoding is if you did de-interlacing or s.th. like that