[MPlayer-users] Is it possible to change video bitrate for MP EG2 ?

DEBERT Jean-Louis jl_debert at rsd-intl.com
Mon Jul 8 16:54:02 CEST 2002

Jukka Tastula wrote:

>  On Monday 08 July 2002 10:09, DEBERT Jean-Louis wrote:
>
>  > So my question is: is there any way to change the video bitrate
>  > (to, say, around 5 Mbit/s) so that it can fit on a normal CD-R
>  > (650 or 700MB) while still being playable on a normal standalone
>  > DVD player ??? If so, is it possible with Mencoder, and how ?
>
>  Quick answer: no.

Okay, thanks anyway.

>  > If I want it to be playable on a standalone DVD player, I guess
>  > that:
>  > 1. I must keep the directory structure
>  > 2. I should edit the .ifo  (is there any linux tool to do this ?)
>  > 3. (maybe) I should burn the CD in UDF format (or in dual ISO/UDF)
>
>  It probably won't play even if you do these things; it
>  depends alot on your
>  player and I doubt there are any that support this kind of thing.

Well, my idea was that many standalone players (e.g. all the Philips ones)
_do_ support reading CD-R's: they need to when you upgrade the BIOS.
So the hardware, at least, is compatible with both DVD and CD-R.
So, I thought that, maybe, they would not object at having a DVD format
on a CD-R media.
But you are right, it remains to be checked ...