[MPlayer-users] tweaking the MP3

steffen stef22 at gmx.de
Sun Jul 7 10:50:02 CEST 2002

Am Sonntag, 7. Juli 2002 10:19 schrieb Florin Andrei:

> This is a very interesting topic. It's a shame there's almost no
> guidelines on any divx site related to sound quality and mp3 bitrate,
> although i'm sure some people did a lot of experimenting.
> I believe the problem of the mp3 bitrate is critical, because when it
> comes to divx, quality means bitrate tweaking (among other things).

I think someone shouldnt go under 128 kbps CBR. If I watch a video and use a
bitrate lower than that , a big part of the video will be lost , since
explosions and over things will sound worse. I think the best would be to
have ogg-vorbis in video, because it gave a good sound at low bitrates. But
the A/V-sync seems to be a problem than, since avi isn't a good
containerformat for this codec. Time to have a real good new multimedia
container format that is open source ( with features like OGM but free ). For
now I would say an abr of 128 kbps for vbr-mp3 is the best to use. I can't
believe that anyone use a bitrate of 96 kbps CBR for it unless the sound
isn't important for the content of the movie ...
For films I really like I make a 2CD-rip with ac3 included, so I have most of
the time a videobitrate over 1000  and the full sound quality.

Now I have only to build my MHP-box to view it on tv ;)

Greets

Steffen