[MPlayer-users] Mplayer not fully Free/GPL software?! eventhough the webpage says

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Sat Jul 6 18:49:02 CEST 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 10:38:37 +0200
Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >  > > *  Large parts of this code were taken from VbrControl() *
> >  > > *  from the OpenDivX project, (C) divxnetworks,          *
> >  > > *  this code is published under DivX Open license, which *
> >  > > *  can be found... somewhere... oh, whatever...          *
> >  > >
> >  > > WTF?
> >  >
> >  > divx4linux is not GPL, and this file belongs to divx4 support
> >  > if you don't use divx4 or xvid (neither of them is gpl) thsi file is not
> >  > used

Well, at least xvid is trying to become fully gpled and it looks like they
are making good progress..

It is strange but I have looked at divx4_vbr.c and it distributed under
the gpl though it is not fully gpl.

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> BTW, volunteers to reimplement this file from scratch and end the
> license issue for good are welcome :-)

Well I had a quick look at that file. Except from a few parts which I did not
yet understand, the rest looks easy to reimplement.
So I volunteer to have a closer look to it and additional documentation
and I will *try* to reimplement it. Can't promise more right now :-(
I'll send you the file if I succeded and I will also let you know
if I failed

Clemens