[MPlayer-users] tweaking the MP3

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sat Jul 6 11:39:02 CEST 2002

On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 02:18, Rocky Hetherington wrote:

> True.  Although i try to get both video and audio bitrates down as low
> as possible so as to keep filesizes down (usually for sharing files,
> archiving i go for high bitrates).

You seem to be experimented in stuff i wanna learn, so i'll keep bugging
you for a while now... ;-)

> 96kbps should be suitable for action films, but you will most likely
> notice problems with things like explosions.
> In most of my encoded files that i share i usually use a 56kbps - 64kbps
> MP3, which works fine, but most of my files do not contain complicated
> audio.

Ok. Can you describe a little bit what were the problems?
Artifacts? When? What?

> Personally i can't wait until Mencoder supports Ogg Vorbis for audio.
> Compiled Vorbis from CVS a couple of days ago and the improvements over
> RC3 are amazing.  A q0 file (nominal bitrate of 64kbps) now sounds as
> good as a 128kbps MP3.

That of course sounds cool, but there's the problem of compatibility.
Other players? Other codecs? Other OSes?

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/