[MPlayer-users] tweaking the MP3

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Jul 5 23:29:02 CEST 2002

I wonder if any of you experimented with different MP3 speeds in the
DivX file.
The reason i'm researching this is because i always try to encode DivX
files so that their size is close to 699 MB, and i try to get the most
overall quality. So, if sound can be optimized (encoded at lesser
speeds), that might prove beneficial for the image quality.

The technical issue:
AFAIK, people usually use 128 kbps MP3 when creating DivX, and that
speed seems to work fine almost everywhere.
But did any of you had problems with DivXes with the sound encoded at
speeds != 128 kbps?
I am especially interested in compatibility issues, like playing the
DivX with other DivX players (Xine, Win Media Player), using other
codecs (XviD, divx.com), and on other OSes (Windows, etc).
I am not interested in cases like: i encoded it with mencoder on Linux
and it played just fine with mplayer on Linux. :-) That's trivial.

The pshychoacoustics issue (please don't answer to this if you're not a
HiFi fanatic :-D):