[MPlayer-users] My personal experience with mplayerxp Vs. regular mplayer

James Pole james.pole at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jul 5 07:52:01 CEST 2002

On Thursday 04 July 2002 11:57, gabor farkas wrote:
> i always wonder why people nowadays ( 'hack sign' has just begun in
> japan ( 2002april as i found out on the webpages )) encode into that
> microsoft divx codec... why don't at least divx4 or divx5?
>
> does anyone know a reason why is better to encode to that format?

Maybe because MS-MPEG/DivX (or whatever it's supposed to be called) is more
widespread than divx{4,5}. If the divx{4,5} (or, even better, *real* MPEG-4)
is more widely used, people will probally start encoding in that format.

- James

--
James Pole

Favourite Quote:
"Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web
page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you
had very little chance of reading a document written on another computer,
another word processor, or another network."
-- Tim Berners-Lee in Technology Review, July 1996