[MPlayer-users] fast/slow scenes

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Thu Jul 4 20:06:01 CEST 2002

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 12:46:33 -0300 (ART)
"Alejandro Néstor Vargas" <anv at xnetcuyo.com.ar> wrote:

> I was trying 2 passes encodings from last saturdy (it lastes about 8 hours
> each try) but it seems that I obtain wrost results with 2 passes than 1 pass.
> The file is smaller but the quality is ugly if I specifies 600 kbits the
> file iscompressed at a average of 450 kbits with ugly quality, and if I specify 800
> the file is compressed at 850 with good quality but in a 1 Gb file.

strange...

> I extracted the difficult scenes and checked what is the bitrate needed for
> this, and with 800 is enoug for obtaining the same quality that is in the
> 1 Gbquality. In the rest of scenes that are at least the 80% of the picture,
> with 600is enoug to obtain the same quality as in the DVD.
>
> I'm using pre5, Xvid_20020412

Well but you arent using Xvid. You could compare it to your results
via -ovc divx4. But I must admit that I haven't tried lavc yet. I'll
do that in a few minutes.

> I don't remember exactly all the testes that I tryed, but something like
> this:
>

> mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi

Well.... have you compressed your audio stream? How big is your frameno.avi???
That might be the key to you big files... Later on mencoder copies from
frameno.avi iirc.

Clemens Wächter