[MPlayer-users] mencoder: ripping a dvd to a 700MB avi questions

Dominik Benninger d.b at gmx.ch
Thu Jul 4 13:37:02 CEST 2002

On Donnerstag, 4. Juli 2002 08.47, Farrell Farahbod wrote:
> also: when i use the previously mentioned command to get my frameno.avi
> file with vbr mp3 audio, the file is a little less than 1MB per minute
> of audio--which seems to me like quite a waste for a movie in most
> cases...i have set the quality to 9....the lowest...so i dont understand
> why the size is so big. is there another option for lame i should use to
> reduce the size while loosing very little noticable loss in quality?

why don't you use

# mencoder -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts
abr:br=128:mode=1 inputmovie.avi

so you have better control about the fianal size and even better quality.
maybe in your case br=96.

> what is a quantizer? (and its reccomended level, if reccomended)

i use vqmin=1:vqmax=31 so that the codec can use its full capacity. and in
first pass i use vqdiff=8.

> for lavc:
>
> whats codec(s) would you reccomend for what purposes (e.g. one codec for
> typical movies, one for cartoons with little color variation, etc)

lavc options are different for each movie. i use higher value for vqcomp, if
the movie is quite slow and has not a lot of action scenes (fast motion) in
it. and a lower value for movies with a lot of action.

maybe you could use B frames. i use vmax_b_frames=3

other thing is that movies with runtime higher than 100-110 minutes should be
ripped on 2 cds.

> whats a quantizer graph, and why blur it?

with blur, pictures look smoother. it helps against ugly pixely looking movies
after downscaling.

> what are motion vectors?

look up B frames.

> what are B, I, and P frames?

secton 7.4, http://www.bunkus.org/dvdripping4linux/single/index.html

greets db

--
Stallman is a saint in the Church of Emacs---Saint IGNUcius.

http://www.stallman.org/saint.html