[MPlayer-users] Cinepak codec with 16-bit display

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Wed Jan 30 19:57:01 CET 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Glyn wrote:

> And the same when I use svga.  I think it's because my display is
> only capable of 16-bit, though I'm not sure.

	That's exactly the problem, but read on...

> The things is, it worked under version 5, and still works for all the
> other codecs I've used (various mpeg and divx).  I've tried using
> version 5's codecs.conf, as well as manually tweaking some of its
> values, but I can't find any more information on exactly how
> codecs.conf works.

	Version 0.60 of MPlayer includes an open source version of the
Cinepak decoder, which only outputs 24- and 32-bit RGB (and a YUV format).
Verion 0.50 used the VFW codec which was able to output 15-bit RGB. If you
still have your system set up for VFW codecs, force its use by specifying
the -vfm 2 option from the command line.

	Hope this helps...
--
	-Mike Melanson