[MPlayer-users] Re: [expert] NVidia will be bannished

Carsten Menke bootsy52 at gmx.net
Wed Jan 30 12:39:01 CET 2002

Nick Kurshev wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>Hello, Terry!
>
>On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:26:39 -0500 (EST) you wrote:
>
>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>>I don't agree with you at all here. I find the nVidia "closed source"
>>driver to be much more stable than the DRi driver for my ATi Rage Pro.
>>Also, the nVidia driver provides capabilities that DRI can't do right now.

The current Nvidia Driver simply rockz :-). Well I see also OpenSource
it's be kinda hype
right now, OpenSource is philosophy, OpenSource is lifestyle, OpenSource
is politics.
I would rather tend to have both OpenSource and closed Source, otherwise
Companies will
not see that's worth to develop something for Linux or *BSD because
everything has to be
OpenSource. And someone that that ATI is *donating* documentation to the
community,
well I doubt, that someone could buy a bread from documentation which is
glady donated by
a hardware company which has increasing sales, because yet another
platform is supported.

 >Don't crucify nVidia. They are the only company I know of that develops
 >their own Linux driver for their hardware. Everyone else outsources it or

>>relies on the community to develop for them. nVidia provides a
>>high-quality driver that works well and is updates in a regular fashion.
>>Some companies (**cough cough** Promise **cough cough**) provide a binary
>>only driver that is horrible and can't be used outside of the kernel it
>>was compiled for. nVidia had the forsight to allow us to compile the
>>linking code between the kernel and the binary driver, allowing us to use
>>their driver with newer kernels without waiting for an update from them.

Yes, I also think so, other compies rely on the work of others, but sell
the product on their own, and
gaining the sales money on their own.

>Please look at mplayer-CVS:main/drivers/radeon - who waits for updates?

Hmmm, ok not waiting for a graphic card update (using Nvidia) but what
for example,
with the scanner driver for the hp4200 ? Since July 2000 no update still
only 8bpp.