[MPlayer-users] full screen problems with ATI tv out (was Re: [GATOS]recommended TVs for use with ATI Rage128 Tv-out svideo?)

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sun Jan 27 17:04:52 CET 2002

Hello, Velocet!

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:19:23 -0500 you wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 08:54:55AM +0100, Peter Surda's all...
>
> > The only slightly disturbing thing is that the picture size isn't 100% of the
> > screen. Hopefully in the near future the driver will support resizing though.
>
> What you using to view this? With mplayer i get the same thing for some videos
> with the vesa video out (-vo vesa) - a border around the picture because its
> not full screen. (I use vesa cuz it Just Works. I see movies on my tv.
> Presto. Havent tried the CVS repository of gatos's ati.2 to get X on my
> tv to get the -vo x11 type stuff going, but if vesa works, why bother? :)
>
> I can use the -fs switch for fullscreen for most things, but certain codecs
> 'do not support zoom or resize' (to give fs). The ones that do this are the
> ones encoded in 24 or 32 bits that i have to force down to 16 with -bpp 16 to
> get to work, but if I use that then I cant use -fs.

What do you meant?
mplayer can use SWscaling only for YV12 fourcc.
Indeed you should use vidix with mplayer's vesa if you want have HW support for scaling:
mplayer -vo vesa:vidix ...
You didn't tell what's ATI card do you have.
Currently vidix has only rage128 and radeon support for ATI's cards.
So if you have 3dRage or Mach64 you should write mach64_vid to have possibility run it
over VESA or wait until it will be implemented by other developers ;)

> Any ideas around this? Why cant I do 'software resize' with -zoom then?
> (and why dont -x and -y work? mplayer seems to ignore these settings with
> -vo vesa..)

It doesn't ignores them for YV12 fourcc.
so please always use libavcodec family or libmpeg2 codec:
-vc ffdivx -vc ffmpeg12 -vc h263 and so on (RTFM)