[MPlayer-users] crashing gnome when I start video on mplayer

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Thu Jan 24 00:01:01 CET 2002

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:41:23PM +0100, Alban Bedel wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2002 20:02:47 +0000
> Stevan Mitrovic <silencer84 at ptt.yu> wrote:

> > Sometimes when I start a video file on mplayer, gnome just crash and
> > back me to a login window. I have the latest snapshot 1.23.2002 and it
> > happens at all mplayer version. In xine player I don't have this
> > problems. But I love to play videos on mplayer it's very simply to use.
> 	Are you sure it's not an X server crash rather than a Gnome crash.
> 	If you use a X login (gdm,xdm or the like) you will end there when the server
> 	crash.

Yes, it's more likely that your X crashed. It means buggy driver (in X) for
your video card, or buggy hw. My X crashes at least once a week on a cheap
(and stupid) i810 (especially with XVideo), but it's rock solid with my G400
at home. Please do not use xdm/kdm/gdm, but start X with command 'startx'
and see file /var/log/XFree86.0.log (or similar) after a crash (BEFORE
restarting X, since it will overwrite that log file!).

- Gábor