[MPlayer-users] libdvdcss 1.0 + libdvdread 0.9.2

Tim U. mplayer at tetro.net
Wed Jan 23 14:43:02 CET 2002

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 12:28:03PM +0100, pl wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:46:57AM +0100, Alvaro wrote:
> > Another question: don't you think that DVD video quality is much worst
> > in Linux than in windows? Mostly when a image is moving, it shows like
> > horizontal tracks, I don't know how to describe. Probably is the MPEG
> > decoder's fault, I don't know... any fix?
>
> Do you mean interlaced frames (dunno the exact phrase) ?  If that's
> that, try with the postprocess filters (man mplayer & search -npp). As a
> quick hint, '-npp lb' or '-npp de,lb' might be what you want.

     Whoops, I forgot to mention in my first responce to this message
that I tried '-npp lb' and '-npp de,lb' with these DVDs with the
telecine artifacts.  While it does make the telecine artifacts
*appear* to go away, it creates some other artifacts ('-npp lb' looks
better than '-npp de,lb') that I can't quite explain, but it is very
likely that it is due to my slow CPU.

     Adding post processing drives the CPU/Video Card requirement
for smooth DVD playback up above my Intel Celeron 500mhz/i810
(shared memory architecture).  It only plays for a few minutes before
a "DEMUXER: Too many video packets" message, and an "a52: CRC check
failed" message, at which point the audio goes away.

     Could inverse telecine be implemented as a post-processing
option?  I'm not sure how the post-processing works, but IVTC would
have to do things with the frame rate, and operate on two frames
before displaying one.

  - Tim U.