[MPlayer-users] 'q' to quit

SycOtiC Smith sycotic at onebox.com
Mon Jan 21 21:00:02 CET 2002

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 01:11:50PM -0500, Nilmoni Deb wrote:
 > It seems if the caps lock is active (by error) the 'q' key does not
 result
 > in quitting of mplayer. It may be wise to make this case insensitive
 > since 'Q' (upper case) has no separate function anyway. Its a bad
 > coincidence that the keys 'q' and 'caps lock' are diagonal neighbours
 in
 > many keyboards which increases the chances of mistyping 'Q' instead
 of a
 > 'q'. Also, one may not know that keeping caps lock on is the cause
 behind
 > 'q' key not working.

Here is a 'quick' hack, not really a patch as you might not want to do it. (Some people prefer to
disable the capslock instead.)

File: mplayer.c
Line 1916 /* interactive mode */
scroll down to line 1955 where it has
" case 'q':
   exit_player(MSGTR_Exit_quit); "
 and add either before or after the case 'q' line:
" case 'Q': "  (no quotes, of course).

Thats just one option.  Another is to use a strtolower() to take everything from the keyboard as
lowercase, or strtoupper() if you want to do it the other way round.

Just some things I picked up over the years fooling around with different codes.

/S. Smith