[MPlayer-users] NO SOUND - how to fix it

Rick rick at topaz.ne.mediaone.net
Sun Jan 20 20:22:02 CET 2002

There are more devices than just /dev/dsp.....

I believe you need access to /dev/audio and /dev/mixer too...

On my system (Mandrake 8.1 with a few upgrades).. all the audio devices are
owned by group audio.  I did this to set the permissions correctly on all the
audio devices:

for i in `ls -l | grep audio` ; do chmod 660 $i ; done

and made my user account and all others that are allowed to use sound part of
the audio group

This is a pretty standard unix convention.

If all of your sound devices are owned by group sys.. I can make a list of
all the sound devices that I have on my system so you can know which ones to
do this to.

Also.. I believe there is a setting in /etc/pam.d that controls permisions on
dev files....  I recall one of the customers at my work (Microway -- a linux
clustering and high end linux workstation company -- i386 based and alphas)
having me make a change in pam.d for him.. but I don't recall what I did...