[MPlayer-users] What happened to subtitles?

Steve Stavropoulos steve at math.upatras.gr
Thu Jan 17 01:32:02 CET 2002

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Carlos Laviola wrote:

> Just yesterday, I had subtitles & OSD nicely below the movie I was
> watching (i.e. in the black strips area).

 Your dvd was in 16:9 format but had an even higher real aspect ratio
(like 2.35:1). When a dvd has an aspect ratio higher than 1.77:1 (16:9)
then the mpeg file contains the black bars that are needed to reduce the
height. So the subtitles had the space to go beyond the movie and in the
black bars encoded in mpeg2.

>  With the latest CVS updates,

 You mean, with your new dvd movie of course.

> however, that has gone away.  Any particular reason?  I'm guessing it

 Your new movie had a real aspect ratio of 1.77:1 and so it didn't include
black bars in the frame.

> is related to libvo2, and I even tried to force it to use it by
> passing --enable-vo2 to configure, but it just won't compile like
> that.
>
> I was beginning to get addicted to that already :-)

 Just buy DVDs with 2.35:1 aspect ratio. There are a lot of them in the
market.
 Or wait for libvo2 which may solve this.