[MPlayer-users] Re: Sound and screensaver problems

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Sun Jan 13 23:02:21 CET 2002

Gábor Lénárt <lgb at lgb.hu> wrote:

>> #1.  If I use OSS for my audio anything I play takes several minutes
>> to start playing.  I have made sure that there is nothing else
>> playing or accessing /dev/dsp.  If I switch to -ao sdl it works and
>> starts right away except I have a slight audio/video sync issue.

> ARE you sure that you don't run esd or arts (I don't know the exact
> process name, I don't use KDE) ?

artsd is the sound daemon from KDE.

If nothing else uses it, it will detach from /dev/dsp after 60 seconds
(default). This should be the time, mplayer starts playing.

But if you shuffle windows, or do anything, which produces a sound, the
timeout will be reset.

I always killed artsd before using mplayer, but now with Gnome, I don't
use any sound daemon at all.

Question: Why does mplayer wait instead of just bailing out with an
error message like "/dev/dsp already locked" or the like?

S°

--
Letzte Worte eines Computer-Freaks: Dieses Programm stürzt nie ab.