[MPlayer-users] Re: bug in configuration file

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Sat Jan 12 03:13:22 CET 2002

Nilmoni Deb <ndeb at ece.cmu.edu> wrote:

> The page http://www.bero.org/gcc296.html claims that
> gcc 2.9six "generates better, more optimized code.".

> From the analysis in http://www.cs.utk.edu/~rwhaley/ATLAS/gcc30.html
> it seems quite opposite, i.e., gcc-2.95.x is better.

It is known, that ATLAS suffers from the use of gcc>2.95.

But using gcc-3.0.2 or 3.0.3, I can report a reproducible speed gain of
20% in transcode (and maybe mencoder, didn't yet measure this program)
using opendivx output if compiled with the proper -march and -mcpu
setting for my Athlon.

So you can't generalize the speed issues some programs seem to have nor
can you generalize the speed gain other programs seem to have.

S°

--
Letzte Worte eines Rauchers: Scheiß Husten !