[MPlayer-users] encoding to a 2 part avi

Rick rick at topaz.ne.mediaone.net
Fri Jan 11 02:04:01 CET 2002

I am trying to encode a dvd to 2 avi files, with half the movie in each.
It's a pretty long movie, so I can't encode it with good quality small enough
to fit on 1 cd.  I have tried the avisplit tool from transcode on the final
avi that mencoder makes, but it screws up the sound and the sound just stops
playing part way into the movie.  Is there any way I can specify only a range
of chapters to encode?  I read the encoding html file and the mencoder man
page, but the only 2 options I saw were a starting chapter (no ending... )
and a # of frames to encode option.  I know I could combine the 2 to do it..
but I don't know how to figure out how many frames in how many chapters, etc.
etc.   Is there some tool I can use to display the table of contents on a
DVD-- can I see a chapter listing with running times?

If anyone can help, please do.  I've been working on this to no avail for a
while now...