[MPlayer-users] Jerky playback, CPU at 20%

Jakub Misak jmisak at atlas.cz
Wed Jan 2 03:45:02 CET 2002

The playback of DivX movies is a little bit jerky - the video is skipping or
freezing for small fractions of second (especially in faster scenes,
otherwise it's hardly noticeable). It looks similar to -framedrop on a slower
machine.

But my machine is fast enough - the CPU is at 20-30% all the time and I don't
use -framedrop. The A/V sync is perfect throughout the whole movie and
Mplayer doesn't complain about the (lack of) speed.

I get the same behaviour also with Xine (in Linux) but the playback is
perfectly smooth in MS Windows. So is it a problem with the Linux kernel,
video driver, codec, bad file, configuration...? It seems I'm not alone with
this problem. I'm using divx4 codec with xv and alsa5 output (changing -vo
and/or -ao doesn't help).