[MPlayer-users] Re: Problems playing DVDs

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Wed Jan 2 00:51:02 CET 2002

Attila Kinali <kinali at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jan 2002 13:44:39 +0100
> Sven Hartge <hartge at ds9.argh.org> wrote:

>> Using libdvdcss, the RC-setting can be ignored, as libdvdcss takes care
>> of this.

> That's exactly what i mean. There are _two different_ RC settings.
> RC1 is software based and libdeccs, libdvdcss and all those libs
> take care of this. But there is also an RC2 which is in the
> firmware of the DVD player, you have to set it correctly or
> patch your player to get it working.

Ah, we confuse some things here.

I was talking about the Region Code, _you_ were talking about the
RPC Phase.

> I'm in the unfortunate possiton to have a dvd player where the patch
> didnt work :-(

I own an RPC Phase II Drive (TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1502, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM
drive), where I am allowd to change the Region-Code-Number in the
firmware for 5 times, before it gets fixed and stays at the last value.

But with libdvdcss, you don't have to change the drives Region Code
Number, because libdvdcss does not authenticate the drive with the DVD,
it just happily cracks along the needed keys and uses them without
asking the DVD-Drive to get them (as far as I understood the mechanism).

So I am able to play DVDs with every Region-Code _without_ having to set
the Region Code of the drive to match the one of the DVD.

S°

--
BOFH excuse #43:

boss forgot system password