[MPlayer-users] Re: Problems playing DVDs

Robos robos at geekmail.de
Tue Jan 1 15:26:02 CET 2002

On Tue, 01.01.02, Andr? Dahlqvist <andre.dahlqvist at telia.com> wrote:
> Sven Hartge <hartge at ds9.argh.org> wrote:
>
> > Using libdvdcss, the RC-setting can be ignored, as libdvdcss takes care
> > of this.
>
> By the way, what if you want to play a DVd right of a .vob from your
> harddrive. Do one need to compile mplayer with the old libcss to
> accomplish that, since the -dvd flag makes it try the DVD drive?
> --

How did you get the vob file to harddrive? Most of the time you are
able to get it to harddrive you use some program that also decrypts it
while copying so you can play the file simply with mplayer
something.vob since it's an mpeg2. If you managed to get it to
harddrive undecrypted , congrats, nice feat.

And maybe this will help concerning the compilation question:
	Right out of libdvdreads dvd_reader.h:
/**
 * Opens a block device of a DVD-ROM file, or an image file, or a
directory
 * name for a mounted DVD or HD copy of a DVD.  Returns 0 if we can't
get any
 * of those methods to work.
 *
 * If the given file is a block device, or is the mountpoint for a
block
 * device, then that device is used for CSS authentication using
libdvdcss.
 * If no device is available, then no CSS authentication is performed,

 * and we hope that the image is decrypted.
 *
 * If the path given is a directory, then the files in that directory
may be in
 * any one of these formats:
 *
 *   path/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB