[MPlayer-users] data-only DVD drives?

gvlyakh at mail.ru gvlyakh at mail.ru
Thu Feb 28 23:22:02 CET 2002

Hello all

Sorry for cross-posting, but it's a common question. I already reported my
problems - can't play any DVD's at all earlier, and no solution was ever
found. So, I suspected a hardware problem - to be honest this hardware is
pretty crap - VIA chipset, Matshita DVD-drive... The CPU is ok -
Duron-900, ASUS mobo... And recently I received a message from another guy
with the same problem on the same DVD-drive. But he also had a manual for
his drive, and there he read, that the drive was capable of reading DVD,
and CD-_data_ disks. And nothing about dvd-films... So, my question is -
is it at all possible, that some DVD-drives are data-only and can't play
films in principle? Has anybody seen such drives? I won't reproduce the
problem exactly here - the message was it couldn't read the index file,
smth about "can't seek to block xxx".

Thanks
Guennadi