[MPlayer-users] Use of -slave option in latest CVS

Tom Bednarchuk tom.bednarchuk at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 22 17:45:02 CET 2002

Hi Alban,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alban Bedel" <albeu at free.fr>
To: <mplayer-users at mplayer.dev.hu>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 3:00 AM
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] Use of -slave option in latest CVS

> Hi Tom Bednarchuk,
>
> on Fri, 22 Feb 2002 00:39:50 -0500 you wrote:
>
> > Is it required to set the HAVE_NEW_INPUT flag to use the -slave mode ? I
tried it
> > earlier but when I was testing it grabbed all my mouse clicks and threw
them away as
> > there was no input.conf file to map them to.
> It's not requiered. But will have many more command. As soon as command
are added
> they are avaible, for every input methode (key, lirc and slave mode).
> Also I don't really understand what you mean by "grabbed all my mouse
clicks and
> threw them away". Just that you couldn't use your mouse in mplayer, or
something else ?

Thanks for the quick reply. What I meant by 'grabbed all my mouse clicks' is
that I was running video in a large window as I usually do. I then tried to
click on the console to see the CPU usage but I couldn't. I had to close the
video window and then in the console there were messages that had something
to do with mouse clicks not being mapped. I'll recompile with the
HAVE_NEW_INPUT set and give it another try, perhaps KDE or Xwindows was
confused.
> > Also, is anyone working on expanding the commands that you can pass to
MPlayer ?
> > I'd love to see the play command with an optional filename or playlist
specifier.
> > Shouldn't be TOO hard should it ?
> No one is working only on adding new commands :) . New commands come when
it's
> needed. Loading a file (in general) shouldn't be a problem. The only thing
is that playlist
> are handeled in a differrent way, that normal file. So with the current
code, it can be done
> but we need one command for files and one for playlists. I think we should
put some effort
> to get rid of -playlist and make playlists transparent for the user.

As for new commands, I'm sure that the team is quite busy. I just thought if
someone was working on them then I wouldn't go poking around. However, I
thought that a command of the form 'play [optional filename] /n' would be
very useful in getting the GUI separate from the MPlayer code (and
eliminating playlists ??). A clean API for the GUI could be made and then
you wouldn't be worrying about someone who is only interested in the GUI
messing up the main codebase.

I'm presently running a dual display system and I would like to have a
little helper app on my main screen that would send commands to the MPlayer
app on the other screen running as a server (or -slave, if you prefer). I'm
not using xinerama because I have 2 different displays (800x600 and 640x480)
which means I get some dead space.

> > Lastly, if in working with the latest CVS, I find a bug, does the dev
team want it reported
> > or do they want people to wait until closer to a release ?
> You are always welcome to report bugs, as soon as you find one. If you
send us good
> bugreport, it's always useful.
> Albeu

Ok I'll test and document the bugs (? anomalies ?) that I've found so far
and I'll check the project site for the proper method of submission.

Thanks
Tom