[MPlayer-users] problem libdvdcss

Zoho liu lzqtl at yahoo.fr
Wed Feb 20 22:36:01 CET 2002

Hello all,
I have just installed mplayer after some effort.
Now I can play the files .mpg, .avi etc.
But I have a problem with DVD playing.

when I run 'mplayer -dvd 1 /mnt/dvdrom', I got the
following message:
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /mnt/dvdrom
mounted on /mnt/dvdrom
for CSS authentication
libdvdcss error: css error: ioctl_ReadCopyright
failed, make sure DVD ioctls were compiled in
libdvdcss error: css test failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
vm: faild to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
---------------------------------------
This seems to be a simple problem.
the answer of FAQ to this problem is:
22. libdvdcss error: css error: ioctl_ReadCopyright
failed, make sure DVD ioctls were compiled in.
If you have a 2.2.19 or any 2.4 Kernel you already
have DVD ioctls, however you need to read and write
 permission on the DVD drive's device
node to be able to use the DVD ioctls. Other things
include, actualy have ing a DVD drive. Having a DVD
disc in the drive, not a CD-ROM. Using
the correct device node, do not try to open a .ifo or
.vob file.
It seems that I well satisfy these conditions:
my linux Kernal is 2.4.3 (Mandrake 8.0),
As if I have also read/write permission on the DVD
drive,  using "ls -l /mnt", I have
drwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 fév 16
15:43 dvdrom/

a little more information:
 1. installed version:
              libdvdcss-0.0.3.ogle3
              libdvdread-0.9.2
              MPlayer-0.60
 2. I installed it as a ordinaire user (I am not
"root", I think that it is not essential).
 3. I have no problem for ls the directory of
/mnt/dvdrom.
 4. compile libdvdcss,libdvdread,mplayer, no error
    message was produced.

Someone has idea for this?

zhiquan liu