[MPlayer-users] OGG

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Wed Feb 20 10:02:02 CET 2002

Hi Jaroslaw Zuk,

on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:00:08 +0100 you wrote:

> It seems that mencoder cannot ecode avi with audio in ogg output format.
> Why ??
	Because no one had implemented it. But wait the following ....
> I would prefer not to use  mp3 because it is not free and open format.
> OGG is.
	Ogg is file format. I think you talk about vorbis wich is actualiy an audio
	codec. Commonly vorbis audio is embemded in an Ogg stream. I know
	that even the ppl who maked this stuff are not very clear about that and
	it take myself sometime to figure this out.
> Second question. Avi with divx and  ogg is this playable in M$ ? should be
> right ? ( providing that appropriate codecs are installed)
	It's also playable with mplayer if you have libogg and libvorbis installed.
	But the problem is that such avi are usally buggy and seeking while fail.
	Video will be there but you will not hear sound anymore as soon as you seek :(
	Secondly imho it's stupid by principe to have a muxed stream (ie an Ogg
	stream) inside another muxed stream (ie an AVI).
	So my opinion on this subject is that when we put vorbis audio support
	in mencoder we should mux a raw vorbis stream with the video. But only
	mplayer will be able to play such file (if they exist some day).
	I recommend to rather wait for complete Ogg support in mplayer/mencoder or
	use Ogg with audio and video. Imho such file will become "standard" for video
	with Vorbis audio. Mainly because (afaik) their is actually no tool who create
	non-buggy avi with Ogg/Vorbis audio and no one wich create avi 	with pure
	Vorbis as audio.
	So if you want Vorbis (or Ogg/Vorbis) support in mencoder send patch.
		Albeu