[MPlayer-users] Which card should I buy for TV-out?

Brian Hall brihall at pcisys.net
Sun Feb 17 01:23:02 CET 2002

The g400 is way better than the ATI solution, trust me.

I picked up a ATI AIW Rage128 to use for tv-out. It worked in vesa
framebuffer mode only. There is limited X support, but only in modes
corresponding to the vesa modes, so you can't tune the display in any
way. After realizing the limitations of ATI tv-out on Linux, and
understanding that wasn't likely to change , I decided to switch to a
g400.

I already had a g400 32MB dual head, so I bought a g400 MAX on eBay
(for $61!), and switched the old g400 to the video PC. After some work,
I got tv-out working perfectly on it in matrox framebuffer mode. Much
better support under Linux, and faster to boot.

Go for the g400, and don't look back...

P.S. I think Nvidia has tv-out support from Linux, but you have to use
their binary-only drivers.

--

http://www.bigfoot.com/~brihall
Linux Consultant

If a program is useless, it must be documented.