[MPlayer-users] new option -xinerama

dan carter dcarter at waitaki.otago.ac.nz
Fri Feb 15 01:43:02 CET 2002

Tom Bednarchuk wrote:
> Has this been put into CVS ?

The -xineramascreen option is.

> Also, will this work with non-xinerama but
> dual-head setups?

The -xineramascreen option wont work in that setup.

> I don't like xinerama for the irritating way it trys
> to put everything in the middle of the virtual screen.

It sounds like you are running an old non-xinerama aware window manager.
  Try updating your window manager or change to KDE or WindowMaker to
resolve the window in middle of two screens problem.

> I'd like to be
> able to play video on display0 and control it from the console on
> display1. Possible ?

Well you do not mention the running the GUI, and doing so would
complicate things.  It is possible to do what you want with a GUI, but i
don't think the mplayer GUI currently supports it.

It is quiet easy to run mplayer on screen 1 and have the movie appear on
screen 2, or vice versa, here is how i do it.

In a xinerama setup i have my xterm on screen 1 and i run mplayer with
the "-xineramascreen 1" option so that it displays on screen 2.

In a non xinerama setup i set the DISPLAY environment variable in my
shell to the other screen and then run mplayer.  e.g. export DISPLAY=:0.1

In both these cases i can control mplayer from the xterm on screen 1 (my
CRT), and the video displays on screen 2 (my TV)