[MPlayer-users] MEncoder Questions

Sargonnas sargonnas at satx.rr.com
Thu Feb 14 04:51:02 CET 2002

Ive got a few questions/problems Im hoping I can get answers to here.

First, is a problem while trying to rip/encode a DVD (The Fifth Element
NTSC) to Divx4. The command line Im using is: mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc divx4
-divx4opts br=585 -ofps 23.976 -oac mp3lame -lameopts q=2:vbr=1 -o
movie.avi -pass 1 -pp 100 -v. (Doing the 3 pass method from docs). The
bitrate is for 700MB cd, given at end of first pass. The framerate I got
from looking through mailing list when I had a duplicate frame problem.
While encoding, I get a skip frame problem, but I guess I should expect it
for the lower framerate. My first problem is.. well.. its not doing it now
(trying it again as I write this to get exact error message), but last
time I tried it, it crapped out about 3000 frames into it. Think it might
have been some demaux error or something. My second problem, is it encodes
the spanish audio stream. Ive tried -aid, but nothing seems to work, I
usually get a no audio error, and mencoder doesnt have -alang options, so
what can I do?

Another thing I need help on, is how to create an SVCD/XVCD from a DVD
using mencoder. (Im fairly new to encoding video and Im not quite sure
about formats/codecs to use, etc.)