[MPlayer-users] OT(?): Matrox g400 tv-out references

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Thu Feb 14 00:01:01 CET 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:12:48 -0500
"Brian J. Murrell" <112aebe82cf8bb3bae45d8f0c7e8e50f at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:

> > Ok, sorry, my fault.
>
> Please don't appologize.  My goal was not to get an appology from you
> (and I feel bad that that is what you thought -- please accept my
> appology now) but maybe just some understanding from the developers of
> the "common user"'s POV.

Hehe. No worries, i dont take it offensive. Frome time to time i need
a reminder too, even though i'm not a developer

> Some of the developers here are so quick to yell "RTFM" at people when
> they ask something and I think sometimes even though they say it, what
> is being asked is actually not in TFM but in the heads of the
> developers on it's way to TFM.

Doesnt apply to me, as i'm not a developer ;-)

> Something that is in TFM today might not have been there yesterday or
> even the day before or last week (when the user last read them).  One
> would have to read all of docs every day to keep up with what is being
> added to them.

I know that. Last time i read all docs was around the release of 0.60.
I try to keep up to date by reading the CVS logs for the DOCS directory,
but it looks like as i should reread everything again (which takes 2hours).

> The fact that the docs are in HTML format _only_ (HTML is nice but
> regular text is actually _useful_) does not help.  Trying to do a "cvs
> diff -u -D <last_time_I_looked>" to look for what has changed since
> the last time one looked gives almost meaninless garbage with all the
> HTML tags and crap in there.  HTML is also difficult to search using
> tools like grep and vim and the like.

You can still convert it into plain text with different tools.

> If it were easier to read the docs and track them maybe there would be
> less people not reading (or at least searching) TFM before asking
> their questions.

Hmm... You mean something like a Changlog of the docs ?
I dont think Gabu would like the additional work :-)

> > I should RTFM again :-/
>
> Or just offer up a simple answer when one can be offered.  Or even be
> a little more granular than just saying "RTFM".  How about suggesting
> which of the documents the answer is in and maybe if you know, which
> section to look in.

I did that....did. After some time answering always the
same question you start skip the more granular part and
only an RTFM remains. :-/

Just look on how many ppl are not able to read bugreports.html
(which didnt change for a very long time) and provide not
one bit of usefull information.

		Attila Kinali

--
I am a moslem, i am a terrorist.