[MPlayer-users] dvdkey option

Samuel Maftoul maftoul at esrf.fr
Wed Feb 13 13:20:02 CET 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 12:30:54PM +0100, Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> > That's exactly what I wanted to test !
> > cp /dvd/one-of-the.vob  ~ # does this , Right ?
>
> Ahhha, I see.
>
> > Because my DVD reader is slow , and I wanted to test mencoder
> > performances, withoud DVD.
> > Then I'll check for readahead value , speed , /proc/ide/hdc/settings...
> > I already played a bit with this values , but didn't really much better
> > performances , I jumped from 6 frame to 9 , but top tells me It uses 40
> > % of my cpu and not more ( around 60% idle )
>
> So, please play the file from the DVD, like:
> 1. mplayer -dvdauth /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd/video_ts/some.vob
> 2. then exit from player
> 3. memorize the DVD key (from output of mplayer)
> 4. copy VOB
> 5. play it from hdd with the dvd key you've memorized, ie:
> mplayer -dvdkey 0102030405 ~/mycopied.vob
>
> Of course use the correct key ;-)
So you ask me here to reproduce the problem I had and why I mailed the
mailing list :)
I did a copy of the VOB and then ran mencode -dvdkey $THE_KEY
~/mycopied.vob
with $THE_KEY=`mplayer 2>&1 | grep key` or something like this ( Indeed
I didn't do that, I did copy the key manually after an mplayer -dvd 2) .
And it didn't work because of failed authentication to the .vob
So i decided to mail here :)

> Shell will strip quotes, it can be used only for example avoid shell to
> interpret parameter as regexp or something similar. The program will be
> called without any quotes in params.
Ok , got it , I have a pretty good knowloedge in shell so I knew that
"\n" is a \n and not a CR in shell, but I didn't knew how C parses shell
arguments .
> - Gábor
        Sam