[MPlayer-users] Re: can't seek through complete avi file (1.9G) - any hints?

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Mon Feb 11 20:49:01 CET 2002

David Holm <david at realityrift.com> wrote:

> I have deleted the start of this thread so I'm not sure what it relates
> to. But there has been a lively discussion of filesystems on the LUGG
> mailinglist recently, and apparently ext2 and ext3 can't handle files
> bigger than 2GB, you need either ReiserFS or XFS for that.

No, this is not true.

On 32bit machines, the VFS layer couldn't handle files larger than 2GB
until kernel 2.4 and glibc 2.2.

On 64bit machines (Alpha, Sparc, some Mips), files could always be
bigger than 2GB.

To have large files on 32bit machines, you need:

a) a recent glibc 2.2.x
b) Linux kernel 2.4.x
c) libraries doing file access recompiled with the knows -DLARGEFILE
   (etc.) compiler switches
d) your program compiled with those switches as well.

S!

--
Letzte Worte eines Polizisten: Ergeben sie sich. Jeder Widerstand ist
zwecklos...