[MPlayer-users] Some possible feature for MPlayer and MEncoder

etienne gandhi gandhi.etienne at ts.siemens.fr
Mon Feb 11 13:36:01 CET 2002

Hello,

Thank you for this great work.
I recently shifter from W to Linux, and started to use MPlayer 0.6 and MEndoder (I am much more familar with Unix than W), and now I am stiked on your player !!! It is
much more flexible,  and powerful than what we can find in W.
In W, I was using MDVD and FlaskMPEG.

I can give you some figure to show the powerful of Linux/MPlayer whane comparing with W:
1 - I can compress in 26 fps (max on W was: 12 fps),
2 - I can play up to 4 MPlayer, it is still fluent.

My video card is a old one with 4M only (purchassed on 1998), and an AMD 1.2G

I have some sugestion about MEncoder:

1 - partial compression, giving a range (in s or frame), that allow some test, and the split for 2 CDRom (or more)
2 - croping function
3 - sound precessing (normalize and add volume),

About Mplayer:

1 - add an option to play a different sound track in a MP3 file
2 - possibility to change subtitle or sound track during the play.

Thank you aginn for your great work.