[MPlayer-users] OT(?): Matrox g400 tv-out references

Krister Lagerstrom krister at kmlager.com
Mon Feb 11 04:48:02 CET 2002

Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 02:08:57AM -0600, Krister Lagerstrom wrote:
>
>>Here are my settings for a G400 card, using a 4:3 ratio. I got these
>>numbers by just fiddling around, so they can probably be improved.
>>Please post to the list if you have any better settings. Don't blame me
>>if your tv explodes!
>>

> Any idea what the refresh rate is?  IIUC, it has to be 59.94Hz
> (assuming your video file is 29.97 frames/sec -- i.e. NTSC) if you
> want to use the vsync feature of the card for changing frames during
> the vertical refresh to have a nice smooth judder free output.

It's for a regular NTSC TV. Apparently it's close enough to whatever is
needed to make the picture look OK. I don't think that the 768x576
resolution is in the matroxtv script. I got my modeline to work by
starting out with something that was close enough in resolution, and
then tuning it with fbset to have a picture that covered the TV etc.

I discovered that a TV (at least mine) isn't really rectangular (the
sides are a little round), so you either end up with parts at the sides
that doesn't have a picture on them, or you gotta make the entire
picture bigger thus covering the whole screen but losing parts of the
movie.

I also discovered that the matroxfb driver doesn't care about some of
the numbers given to fbset, so it takes some experimenting to get it
right since you can't do a "regular" calculation for the fbset modeline
(pixel clock, porches, etc). I guess I could've reverse-engineered the
necessary data from the matroxfb driver, but hey, it worked anyway :-)

Overall, the TV-out I got is pretty good as far as I can tell. No
flickering etc. The picture quality is pretty good too, the weak link is
rather the WinTV board I use for capture...

I can also mention that I've hacked the mga_vid driver to accept
adjustments to the picture size placement after mplayer has done it's
setup. This makes it possible to do a crude letterbox (16:9) ->
fullscreen (4:3) on-the-fly conversion.

		/ Krister