[MPlayer-users] vesa:vidix on my radeon is freezing my system quite frequently

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sun Feb 10 20:22:02 CET 2002

Hello, Brian!

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 13:08:33 -0500 you wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 10:08:35PM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> > Hello, Brian!
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> > Because it's cause for freezing computer.
>
> Do you mean an application memory leak or a kernel memory leak?  I am
> using the same kernel on this machine I have been using for months,
> and this is a case of a sudden freeze.  There is no
> paging/swapping/sluggishness.

kernel

> > > I will try that if all else fails.
>
> On this note however, I must say, I have been using the same kernel
> for months.  No upgrades whatsoever to it.  Why would it be causing
> such drastic problems all of a sudden?
>
> Now on the other hand, I update my mplayer cvs every few days.
When you use mplayeer then you use other parts of kernel (vm86 for example)

> > You should play .mp3 in XMMS. Then try change equalizer
> > and determine which time will be spend for real changing sound.
> > I asked: when video is frozen - does mplayer work? (according to audio playback)
> > or it's just audio cache?
>
> I would say it's just audio cache because the whole OS is frozen.  It
> will not even answer an ICMP ping, change consoles, etc.  There is no
> way it is mplayer playing the sound over and over again.

Therefore - kernel hangs (or its drivers).

> > > I will try that too.  Generally speaking, which is the better lib?
> > Which works ;)
>
> OK... hangs using ffmpeg12 as well, although CPU usage is lower with
> ffmpeg12 than libmpge2.  I like that,  :-)
>
> How can we eliminate the Radeon driver as being the problem before I
> go the the greater efforts of downgrading my binutils and upgrading my
> kernel?  How much video do I have to play through another "vo" (i.e.
> the null vo) without hanging to prove it is the Raeon vo driver?

Radeon driver can't be a problem since it doesn't use anything except video registers.
But if your problem is reproducable then try the same with vo null as experiment.
And the last, try:
--disable-sse
downgrade binutils and ld
upgrade kernel (there was fixed memory leak in ppp driver and something other ;)