[MPlayer-users] Gif animation decoder request

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Feb 9 21:36:00 CET 2002

Hi,

> On Sat, 9 Feb 2002 11:40:45 -0700 (MST)
> Mike Melanson <melanson at pcisys.net> wrote:

> > On 9 Feb 2002, Alexander Werth (gmx) wrote:
> >
> > > Hy,
> > > anyone up to adding a gif animation decoder to mplayer? There are lot's
> > > of gif animations out there but very few players beside browsers.
> > > Alexander Werth
> >
> > 	I've thought about it, yes, and I just might go for it. Just one
> > question: Is Unisys still known to hassle developers who implement LZW?
> 	As sombody pointed out it can be good to have an image demuxer.
> 	A demuxer wich take a directory full of picture and send the one after each in
> 	a raw format. By using something like imlib we can have support for many format.
> 	I said this so we can let patent issues to the gif2png developpers ;) . Anyway
> 	they might be the good ppl to ask for.

it's already done by Pontscho
it reads images compressed as frames, and we'll add more codecs for
decompress. current;y only jpeg supported, using any mjpeg decoder (ffmpeg,
or one of the 3 win32 dll: m3jpeg, mcmjpeg, avid)

i think the same should be done for animated gif: read gif frames as video
frames and implement decompression at codec level.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
"I don't RTFM? Wow. What's the meaning of this? It's new for me."
	-- Martin Baum, a tipical MPlayer user...