[MPlayer-users] Do I still load radeon_vid when using vesa:vidix?

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sat Feb 9 11:40:03 CET 2002

Hello, Brian!

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002 04:24:03 -0500 you wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 12:05:08PM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> >
> > Hello, Brian!
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> > No
>
> OK.
>
> > Do you mean quake?
>
> Hmmmm.  Terminologies.  :-)  Judder, AFAIK is when what is supposed to
> be smooth frame transitions looks jumpy.  This is always easiest to see
> with videos that have smooth scrolling text.  Video captured from a
> news channel or a stock channel is usually good because they ususally
> have a smooth running right to left banner (i.e. stock ticker) at the
> bottom of the screen.
>
> When I capture CNN and encode it into an mpeg file and then play it
> back with a G400 using syncfb, the banner at the bottom looks as
> smooth as the broadcast (excepting for quite infrequent blips which
> are more likely due to processor scheduling, etc.).  When I play back
> with the Radeon, the banner is jumpy as it scrolls.
>
> I am suspecting that this is because the frame switching is not
> syncronized with the vsync refresh.

I suspect that we should disable adaptive deinterlacing for non-interlaced streams
but currently I didn't hack this code in mplayer sources.
Althrough radeon_vid.so is ready for that ;)
> > Sometime I've met that but I guess that it's simply broken
> > movie since with DVD everything fine.
>
> I, unfortunately don't have a DVD drive to judge this.  But note
> however that trying to notice judder in something like a "movie" is much
> more difficult than with something smooth scrolling horizontally, like
> text.
>
> > In the old way. There is no difference between old radeon_vid kernel module
> > and new vidix' one.
>
> But with vidix there is no kernel module right?  Does the radeon work
> similar to g400 in that you give frames to the card and the card takes
> care of moving them to display memory during the vsync refresh, or
> does radeon simply tell mplayer (or vidix I guess) when vsync refresh
> is happening and mplayer/vidix is responsible for getting the frame
> into the display buffer of the video card before vsync refresh is
> done?

This question already was answered by me for you in this mlist!
vsync is useful only when you use double buffering. (for single buffering
it's meaningless). When you use -double key in command line then mplayer
calls FrameSelect function to switch next frame for drawing and
release the current frame for displaying.
Radeon's driver uses SMART_SWITCH flag of SCALER chip which should be enough
for this purpose to produce async buffer switching without producing unnecesary
CPU delays. (Engine SHOULD wait vsync before real updating of internal registers).
That's all.