[MPlayer-users] installation

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Fri Feb 8 16:35:02 CET 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Lin Yang Chen wrote:

> I have just subscribed to this list and need help with installation of
> MPlayer. I have got the file MPlayer-0.60.tar.bz2 in my Linux home
> directory but don't know how to activate it. Could someone help as I am
> very bad at using the konsole? Thank you very much!

	Wow...newest of the newbies. Installing (compiling) a program from
a .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 file is one of the most basic of Linux skills. Read
this:
  "Installation and Hints"
  http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/#1.3
To be fair, the section doesn't say what to do with the tar.bz2 file, so
here's the first step:
  "tar Ixvf MPlayer-0.60.tar.bz2"
This will unzip the file into its own directory. Then,
  "cd MPlayer-0.60"
Then you can follow the instructions in the manual:
    ./configure
    make
    make install
Alternatively, as David Holm as already noted, you may wish to take the
CVS route.

	Note that this will only compile the basics; there are still a lot
of other components you'll need in order to have a fully capable MPlayer
application.

--
	-Mike Melanson