[MPlayer-users] DIRECT RENDERING WITH VIDIX

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sun Feb 3 13:32:01 CET 2002

Hello, Brian!

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 04:46:14 -0500 you wrote:

> Nick,
>
> Nice work.  I was wondering though, there have been a few discussions
> regarding syncing Mplayer's frame display with the VSYNC of the
> display card to eliminate judder and tearing.  Do you see of any way
> possible to do this with the Radeon cards?  The G400 does it with
> syncfb and it's really really nice looking video.  Very smooth.  I
> would love to do the same thing with the Radeon.

Indeed it's unnecessary since radeon_vid (same as rage128_vid) driver
does it automatically. It waits VSync signal asynchronously before
buffer switching and doesn't produce any unnecessary delays.
(According to GATOS mlist).
When I have plugged TVout then I gave 25fps even on my CRT monitor ;)
> Also, there was some discussion a long time ago between you, me and
> A'rpi regarding PCI Radeon and whether it would work with Mplayer's
> Radeon support.
>
> It does work in VESA mode, but when I try to use it with framebuffer,
> it hangs the box when I load the framebuffer drivers.  I had the same
> problem trying to run XFree86 with the PCI Radeon until somebody
> embarassed me by pointing out that I still had the "AGP4x" option in
> the XF86Config-4 file.  When I got rid of it, it stopped haning the
> box and worked great.  Can this little fix be applied to the Radeon
> framebuffer to make it not hang the box on PCI Radeons?

It's probably specific for your card only and can'y be implemented as
generic solution.