[MPlayer-users] VESA screen wrapping problems

Chris Newton baron at shutdown.com
Sun Feb 3 10:08:02 CET 2002

Greetings,

I'm having problems playing a variety of different files of different
formats using the VESA output. I havent seen anyone mention this problem
in the mailing list archive. The problem I'm having is that for the very
first run of mplayer since the machine booted up the image is shifted to
the left by half its width. So the right half is on the left and the left
half is on the right. The second time I run mplayer (same exact command
line and file) it runs perfectly fine. Third time, split in half and so
on. To throw in another weirdness, if I play a different movie which is
of a different size, the image ends up being shifted not by half, but by
some other amount. Like by 1/3, 1/4 or more smaller increments where it
gets hard to guess how much its shifted.

Before I upgraded the video BIOS to the latest version, the second time I
ran mplayer I would get kernel oops and the machine would die very
quickly. Now there is no effect on kernel stability, just the display of
the image. The readme for the new bios said nothing about VESA fixes, but
it hardly said anything of any substance.

I'm using VESA output because this card happens to have a TV out and I'd
like to watch my movies on my TV sometimes. Here is my setup:

Hardware:
Video is an Intense 3D Voodoo made by Intergraph (who no longer exists).
The chipset is the Alliance Semiconducter AT25 for 2D and a Voodoo Rush
also on there for 3D. This is in an Abit BP6 motherboard with two over
clocked Celerons. The overclocking is perfectly stable, I slam it every so
often to test to make sure its still keeping stable. I've already had to
back it off a little. :/ The machine is starting to get a little old.

Software:
I'm using glibc 2.2.5, kernel 2.4.17, gcc 2.95.3. I havent tweaked any of
the compile lines. Latest CVS for mplayer and for ffmpeg.

I'm running mplayer with -vo vesa -fs -zoom. The fullscreen and zoom seem
to have no effect on the problem. For DivX/AVI files, I have to use -vc
ffdivx. I have not been able to get any codec other than ffdivx to work
with vesa out. And before I went from 0.60 mplayer to current CVS, even
that wouldnt work. For mpgs I do not specify a codec, it figures it out
fine by itself. I have not tried any other file formats.

Thanks for any help,
Chris Newton