[MPlayer-users] Xine

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sun Feb 3 00:40:04 CET 2002

On Sat, 02 Feb 2002 23:23:44 +0200
yufufi at ttnet.net.tr (YUFUFI) wrote:

> I was watching a divx movie (with mplayer! IT WORKS) but I think I
> should write some reply first.

Good.

> First of all I tried to upgrade gcc 3 but there was a dependency
> problem. rpmlib(PartialHardlinkSets).. Noone knows about it!. I tried
> all of the newsgroups, mailing lists and no cure? So then i tried gcc3
> (not gcc 3) which also comes with redhat. Then it didn't worked again ,
> after a little research it worked with -vo x11. (can't play dvds but i
> think I can solve it)

This gcc stuff is really red hat and mandrake related. If you are
new to linux, i suggest to use SuSE instead, they dont ship
broken software (which doesnt mean they dont ship software with bugs).

> This very funny. Why do u say that? None of 0S' is perfect! If you're
> stuck in windows all you have to do is pressing "F1". It will help you.
> In linux??

Ever read any linux related book ? If not you sould

Now i'm getting OT, but as a lot of linux newbies are here:
Unlike Windows to use a unix means to read, most time you
dont have a nice gui but a command line interface. Why ?
Because if you are used to it, it's a lot faster. Something
else is the complexity: unixes dont hide it like windows.
If there are a lot and complicated option, you'll see all.
And most time there isnt a check if your configuration will work
like this, as you as the admin should know what you are doing
(and in a lot of cases you'll be glad not to have such a check).
You asked for an "F1" feature, there is one, one that is a lot older
than windows but IMHO superior to the whole win help system in the
sense that you can store better structured information. If you
had read a book, or eaven the smalles paper about how to use linux
you would have seen it (hint: it's called manpages).

> my windows never crashed because I power off the machine. This week
> there was an electricity problem (I am from Turkey!) and linux crashed!
> I have to reinstall it..

Hmm... still poweroutages ? I thought that time was over even in Turkey ?

Anyways. It's unusual that you have to reinstall linux because of a crash,
ext2 is extreamly robust, more than NTFS (not comparable with the FAT shit).
I had a lot of crashes, caused by broken hardware or buggy drivers, but never
had to reinstall linux (just fix the files that were broken).

> At school they want us to do our projects at linux! I am not sure why?

Which school ? which city ? Ever thought about join a linux user group ?
(yes, there are some even in Turkey)

> Now I'm using linux and I don't why? I think(at the moment) linux should
> stay as a server.

I use it now for aprox. 3 years as my only desktop OS,
after MacOS, DOS, NT and OS/2. You see, i know them all, but
noone fits my needs like linux.

> Why should I read it instead of using powerdvd? Why do you do that? Why
> people develop for linux? I have lots of question about it.
> -I still wonder why u develop under linux?-

Because, it's fun.

 			Attila Kinali

--
I am a moslem, i am a terrorist.