[MPlayer-users] performance...

Brian J. Murrell eb5978cea38a2215ca392d9f4e4f0165 at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Feb 1 12:44:04 CET 2002

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 12:58:27AM -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> > Getting playback locked to vsync could be done two ways I can think of:
> >  - queue up frames in the driver itself and copy them on vsync, or
> >  - pass vsync "phase" info back into mplayer and have mplayer adapt
> >    its playback to match.
>
> Is the vsync info actually available easily currently?  Perhaps with
> all of Nick's knowlege of the ATI cards, he could comment on how easy
> it would be to get the vsync info from the current driver (i.e.
> radeon_vid).

OK, just to confirm that this is a very good goal to work towards, I
did a slight bit of hacking on Mplayer and got it to work with the
current CVS version of syncfb on my G400.  The CVS version does not
panic my kernel the way the syncfb that is in Mplayer does.

I also played with the picture settings (brightnetss, contrast, color,
hue, and so forth) of my captures and it looks awesome!  I am
capturing with mp1e at 640x480 @5Mb/s and it's only ever so slightly
discernable from broadcast.  Very smooth.

The A/V sync does seem to drift a bit much though, and for some reason
the +/- keys does not adjust the A/V sync.  Using <- and -> to go back
and then forward 10 seconds usually brings it back into sync.

Now I just gotta find some better NTSC timings for my G400 @640x480
and it will look even better.

Syncing Mplayer to the display's vsync refresh is well worth it.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell